Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Great Wait

     I have an enemy. He isn't dressed in bright orange with yellow reflectors, so that you might recognize him from a distance. He often shows up unexpectedly, unannounced. He robs me of a gentle spirit and calm character. His name is "Wait!" He pulls and tugs at my very soul. He is constantly fighting for my attention. I am forced to keep company with him even though I go out of my way to avoid him. It has become apparent that in this life I must inevitably learn to accept him as a vital part of my development. So I do...stubbornly. 
     Wait greets me in the car at stop lights, in line at the grocery store and at doctor appointments too. He once moved in for a twelve month long deployment. Then again for six more months. He obviously has no boundaries. I want nothing of him. But since he keeps returning I am forced to succumb to his intentions. Just what exactly does he want? Why me? Why now? Perhaps I have wronged him. Perhaps I'm mistaken. Perhaps. Because when I reflect on how he has altered me, I am left with nothing cruel. Nothing harmful.
     At the stop lights, he taught me how to be grateful; not everyone has transportation. At the grocery store he taught me compassion; some can only afford a jug of milk and a loaf of bread. At doctors appointments he taught me patience; while I wait an hour, many will wait all day for cancer treatments, like my dad. Finally, deployments...well, where to begin? He was extra generous. He taught me dependability on God. My husband can't always be there. I came to know how to appreciate others more too. Because while I enjoy common amenities, soldiers will often do without. Also he taught kindness; friends will help when family can't. I learned about joy, which was my favorite. Despite the circumstances, my children laughing made everything else melt away. Lastly, he bestowed faithfulness. In the midst of circumstances that were out of my control...God was there. He is faithful. 
     Quite possibly, "Waiting" could be one of the most influential teachers known to me. He has and is preparing me for that which is greater. 
     His Word speaks: "Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long."
                         So as best I can...I surrender and welcome the Great Wait!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment