Monday, August 18, 2014

Devoted

     It was 3:00 a.m. and sleep had abandoned me. I flipped on the t.v. only to run into an infomercial. You know, the ones we always deny watching? I sneered that anyone could lose weight so fast and get such extreme physical improvement in little to no time. I was guaranteed mind blowing results and promised a full body transformation. To top it off I could get a free t-shirt after 60 days of intense workouts. Within minutes, I was reeled in; devoted. Sold!...to the woman who should not make such an impulsive buy at 3:00 a.m. I convinced myself that I would purchase the videos just to prove them wrong. 
     I devoted myself to those 60 days but after the first three I could barely walk, yet somehow I found the spine to carry on. It went beyond "no pain, no gain." After the first month I marveled at the results that I had achieved, so I muscled through the second. I had been influenced by quick results. I failed to realize, however, that I'd have to keep it up for the rest of my life.
     To be devoted is to have an affection or attachment toward something or someone. My husband is devoted to me as I am to him. It feels good to share that kind of commitment with someone. You feel chosen, you feel alive. We easily devote ourselves in hope that whatever we embrace will match our dedication.
     God's devotion is unparalleled. "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." He loved, He devoted, He gave it all. Not because we had anything to give back...just because.
     So if your like me, always looking for a new challenge, be careful, devote wisely. Persuasions of all kind shadow us. Influences await our affections. I easily devoted myself to a program with a 30 minute commercial whose results may vary. It is much more pleasurable to be devoted to something or someone who is capable of reciprocating, but only One can give entirely. He replaces mourning with joy, sorrow with gladness and comforts like no other. His whispers, "you are accepted!" 
     So although I can't guarantee that I won't be watching any more late night infomercials I have chosen to truly devote myself to the One whose results don't vary. Who guarantees victory over death and eternal life for all who believe. Who assures us that every need is supplied. Whose promises are endless. Who pledges that He causes all things to work together for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. Who is capable of wrapping His arms around not just part of me but all of me.

And that, my friend, is much better than a free t-shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment